Thursday, February 14, 2013

Grim ride, in more ways than the weather...

Big Ross @ Dalbeattie

After the previous punctures and wrecked mechs this week, it was no surprise that I carried on in the same vein into sunday's ride at Dalbeattie. 8 of us turned up on what was a grim, cold and wet February morning with the intention of riding the trails there, then heading along to Mabie to take in the red there.

After a briskly paced climb up to the top of moyle hill, the first descent claimed another tyre. The end of this trail is a steep rocky chute, with multiple line options. Needless to say the one I took (far too fast btw) had a sting in the tail. Launching off the drop right at the end, I just caught a tyre busting jaggy mofo of a rock. The rip was to deflate the tyre straight away, sending me off into the muddiest puddle in the whole of the stewartry.

I don't know if it was this tumble, or flipping my bike upside down which did the next damage, but either way, the remote for my reverb seatpost disappeared into the mire as well. Jesus wept. This, combined with constant sleet and a freezing cold wind, kind of put paid to my enjoyment for the day. So much so, that when it was suggested that we don't bother with Mabie, and head to the tearoom at the end of the ride instead, there was no argument from me.

This has brought about a premature end to the Heckler. I was planning on selling it soon anyway to make way for a new frame, so this has brought about the inevitable. My first ride on the heckler was at Dalbeattie in July 2011, so it's a fitting end. I've had all the bearings replaced under warranty recently, so someone will get a cracking frame out of it. I've also taken this period of no-full-susser-ness as a chance to get the reverb serviced, while I await the replacement lever.

So, I'll be on a hardtail til about the end of April. I should be fine, as I managed for over 8 years before buying the Santa Cruz. Bye bye, heckler, it's been a blast.....

Oh, before I go, check this out - never mind the shroud of Turin, or all these faces of long dead stars you see in the sun when some tube cuts open a potato or something.....

A bike saddle appeared in my coffee this morning! Not only that, it bears a startling resemblance to a Bel-air, my saddle of choice!. Freaky....

 

2 comments:

  1. Cotic Rocket. Could get a black one now, or wait til the end of April for an orange one. I'm in for the wait!. ;-)

    ReplyDelete